Major in Biomathematics
The biomathematics major
This undergraduate track should be of interest to mathematically inclined students also interested in Biology. The track provides preparation for graduate work in computational biology or bioinformatics. This is a major that can include the basic pre-med advising. It is part of the interdisciplinary offerings in the department of Mathematics; there are currently Master's and PhD programs in Biomathematics that are closely related to this undergraduate major.
See the Department of Mathematics section of the Undergraduate General Bulletin for course descriptions and prerequisites: registrar.fsu.edu/bulletin/undergraduate/departments/mathematics.
- Core mathematics (23 hrs):
- MAC 2311 Calculus I (4)
- MAC 2312 Calculus II (4)
- MAP 2302 Ordinary Differential Equations (3)
- MAC 2313 Calculus III (5)
- MAS 3105 Applied Linear Algebra I (4)
- MGF 3301 Introduction to Advanced Mathematics (3)
- Programming and statistics (6 hrs):
- COP 3014 Programming I (or better) (3)
- STA 4321 Introduction to Mathematical Statistics (3)
- Biomathematics (3 hrs):
- MAP 4481 Math Modeling in Biology (3)
- Collateral courses (24 hrs):
- CHM 1045 & L General Chemistry I and Lab (4)
- CHM 1046 & L General Chemistry II and Lab (4)
- BSC 2010 & L Biological Science I and Lab (4)
- BSC 2011 & L Biological Science II and Lab (4)
- PHY 2048C General Physics A with Lab (5)
- PCB 3063 Genetics (3)
Electives (9 hrs) Choose 9 hours from the following.
Note: Students intending further graduate study are strongly advised to select MAA 4226 (or MAA 4224) and MAP 4341 as two of their choices on this list.
- MAA 4226 Advanced Calculus I or MAA 4224 Intro to Analysis (3)
- MAP 4341 Partial Differential Equations I (3)
- MAA 4227 Advanced Calculus II (3)
- MAP 4342 Partial Differential Equations II (3)
- MAA 4402 Complex Variables (3)
- MAS 4106 Linear Algebra II (3)
- MTG 4302 Topology (3)
- MAP 4180 Game Theory (3)
- MAP 4153 Vector Calculus (3)
- MAP 4202 Calculus of Variations (3)
- MAD 4300 Graph Theory and Networks (3)
- CHM 2211 Organic Chemistry II (3)
- or other approved 4000-level math courses
Total credit hours: 65. Note: Biomathematics majors do not require an additional minor.